Linney's Grove Baptist Church
Monday, July 22, 2019
Over 100 Years of Heritage an Eternity of Hope

About Linneys Grove

 
 Our History.................
 

In Alexander County, North Carolina on October 2, 1895 a group of ministers, (then called a Presbytery) composed of Reverends W J Hopkins, D W Poole, A H Goodin, and L P Gwaltney met in the community of Linney's Grove for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church. Letters from thirty-three people had already been compiled to enter into this organization. The articles of faith and the Baptist Church Covenant were read and approved by the brethren and sisters present. Upon motion, the newly organized Church approved the name Linney's Grove Baptist Church after the community and in honor of Joseph Wellington Linney who had donated land for a church building. Immediately following the organization of the church, the Rev. J P Gwaltney was approved as the moderator pro-teem and Pastor and J J Hendren as the Clerk. A committee was approved for the purpose of building on the site. The first message was preached by Rev. D W Poole on October 19, 1895. Linney's Grove was unanimously approved at the October meeting of the Alexander Baptist Association as a member. The new church building completed in 1896 was white frame with double doors on the front. The church became very active and Sunday School was held on Saturday mornings at 10:30 and worship was held on the third Sunday in each month at 2:30 p.m. The church ordained its first deacons on the 17th of September, 1897; they were E McLain and J J Hendren. The church supported Foreign Missions, Home missions, and the Thomasville Orphanage. In March, 1900 funds were raised to purchase land for a church cemetery. The church built and Arbor located beside the existing building in 1904. With the membership increasing to over 130 in 1953 the present building was erected. It is brick veneer and has been remodeled several times in the past. In 1971 and 1972 the church built a Pastorium on land donated to the church by Sanford Hayes. In 1984 the current Fellowship Hall and Educational Building was completed. In 2002 an addition to the sanctuary was added, increasing the seating capacity to 275 people. A choir loft was added, as well as a baptristy and two rest rooms. Additional parking and a drive thru entranceway were also constructed. With 25 pastors serving the Lord with our congregation over the past 114 years the membership of Linney's Grove has grown to be strong. Under the leadership of our wonderful Lord we can truly say we have had 114 years of Heritage and look forward to an Eternity of Hope!